Learning exactly what is going on, especially in the Chinese environment of state secrecy and propaganda, is difficult. But news reports, especially those that include admissions of some level of involvement from company officials, are a sufficient basis to begin asking further questions.
- Cisco: Cisco’s deep involvement in the building of China’s Golden Shield Project has been admitted by the company. Cisco’s involvement has even already been raised before Congress, including the fact that Cisco engineers gave a presentation acknowledging the repressive uses for their technology that quoted their Chinese government buyers as saying that Cisco’s products could be used to “combat ‘Falun Gong’ evil religion and other hostiles.” The UK’s Guardian reports that Cisco provides over 60% of all routers, switches, and network gear to China and estimates that Cisco makes $500 million annually from China.
- Oracle: Business Week reports that Oracle has sold software to the Chinese Ministry of Public Security for criminal and ideological investigations. Oracle admits that one-third of its business in China is with the government.
- Motorola: Business Week also reports that Motorola sold the Chinese authorities handheld devices for street cops to tap into “sophisticated data repositories” on Chinese citizens.
- EMC: Business Week also reports that EMC sold “sophisticated data repositories” to the Chinese public security authorities. The top EMC executive in Beijing is quoted as saying, “We can expect big revenue from public security agencies” in China.
- EMC Corporation is an American multinational corporation headquartered in Hopkinton, Massachusetts, United States.